Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Open House

Open House was a week ago for us! I really enjoy this whirlwind evening as a way to meet parents and give them a glimpse into my classes.

As a high school teacher, there's typically a few things I make sure to do/cover at Open House:
  • I always have a handout or newsletter that gives some general points of interest. Most of the details can be found on my course syllabus too. Items that I include: my education/degrees, my district stats (how long I have been in the district, what course(s) I have taught / am teaching, extra curricular involvement, etc), my website and a list of items that can be found on it, course topics (typically chapter titles), course description, grade breakdown, and a short letter about support from home.
  • Some years I have passed around a page for parents to "sign in" on for my records. This year, I experimented with giving each parent a small slip of paper to fill out and turn in as they left. The slip asked for their name, student's name, their email, course, and a spot for questions/comments. I was able to reply via email back to any questions/comments/concerns. 
It is my mission to accomplish 3 main things at Open House (keep in mind I only get 10ish minutes for each class):
  1. About me - I like parents to see my personality and learn a little more about my background.
  2. Grades - In my experience, parents like to hear firsthand about how grades are calculated and what is expected.
  3. My portal/website - It is important to me to highlight the many resources available on my portal.
Another Open House is in the books, folks! Onto the next big event...


No comments:

Post a Comment